Thursday, June 28, 2007

Having made a tit of myself

...over onChange (read the standards before moaning Smith), I'm wary of dumping my latest S60 browser woe in public, buuuut I'm fairly sure I'm on firmer ground here. It looks like there's no way to query the styles of an element beyond the positional shortcuts: getComputedStyle() throws some sort of exception (I can't get window.onerror to respond either, so I'm in the dark as to what it's suffering from) and element.style is null - which is kind of consistent with the rest of the world. getPropertyValue doesn't work either, but that's not a huge surprise as it doesn't work anywhere else either.

This isn't quite as critical a problem as the lack of any way to query what's in a text box while the user types (and it is still a problem: the text box doesn't want to respond to key events either) but it's still annoying. All I want to do is fake an opacity fade-out (think scriptaculous) by querying the style for colour, then making it closer to the target colour bit by bit. No dice.

In other news I'm loving the meta-ness of Opera Mini 4 beta. The new version now supports XMLHttpRequest. Which means that Ajax calls are served as plain HTTP requests, causing a complete reload of the page. I can totally understand why the Mini team should have put this in, but it's a curious state of affairs to be sure.

No comments: