Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I've just started this blog

I've just started this blog, but it's the culmination of about four years of thinking (!) about Javascript, web and mobile starting with XML Data Islands in Windows PocketPC. Consequently stuff's going to come out in a rather disordered fashion, so bear with me.

It'll also be a while before I make it look nice.

A bit about me might help. I started building websites in 1995 and started building stuff for mobile in 2000, when I worked on a project for a long-gone company called NerveWireless (hello NerveWireless people). I've therefore been making things for smaller screens longer than I have for big screens, although I have kept both domains going.

I'm unusually excited about the possibilities of running proper web apps on mobile devices (Ajax makes more sense when reloading a page hurts as badly as it does on mobile). But coupled with that is the worry that, as happened with WAP, we'll try and shovel too much into the device and cripple ourselves before we've had a chance to prove the point. I've seen some very sexy demos for mobile Ajax but they aren't really usable. Therefore I guess the point of view I'm trying to push is pragmatic Ajax on mobile. But that's way too long for a blog title.

If you want to contact me, the email for the blog is mobileajax (on the domain) slackr.eu. Note the cunning disguise the @ has adopted there.

No comments: